Wednesday, October 1, 2008

British Columbia, Here I Come!

This time tomorrow, I will be in British Columbia! After tomorrow, the only province I will have left to visit is Newfoundland and Labrador!

I'm trying to plan out my route to Oliver. It's a 700km journey. Normally, I'd say that I could easily do that in two days, with just one overnight stop, but normally I'm not driving through several national parks with slow speed limits and let's not forget the mountains. I think it will probably take me three days to get there, but it can't take any more since I could be called to work on Monday. Could is a big word, but I wouldn't want to miss my chance.

I'd like to invite you all to visit the Parks Canada website and get information on RV camping along this route just so you'll see that I'm not exaggerating when I state that this is a ridiculously frustrating task. In order to get information on campgrounds, their amenities, and their rates, I have to visit an average of four websites!

After about an hour's worth of Googling, I finally was able to determine that my first overnight stop will probably be at Kicking Horse Pass campground in Yoho National Park. Camping there is 30$ per night. No hookups. 40$ if you need a day pass. No hookups. Let me say that again. No hookups. As if that wasn't bad enough, the campground doesn't take reservations, so if they're full, tough luck, I have to push on to Golden. This type of fleecing by the Canadian government is par for the course, unfortunately. If you're coming to Canada, I suggest sticking to provincial and private campgrounds. Visit the national parks by day only!

Because there are apparently so few places to stop overnight between Canmore and Golden, I'm not guaranteed a spot at Kicking Horse, and I won't be pushing off till noon tomorrow, I doubt I'll be detouring to Lake Louise. :-(

I have to say that this is the first night before departure since Thunder Bay that I'm just about raring to go! I've been here a full week and it's been really nice, but I've had my fill of the area for now.

Even though I'm nine kilometres from the nearest full service town and thirty kilometres from Calgary city limits, I still feel that this location was fantastic. I really enjoyed doing my daily excursions and coming home to this spot. It's not as quiet as it could be since it's right at the intersection of two busy roads, but it's peaceful and the staff is very friendly. I just wish the window in front of my computer didn't overlook the dumpsters. :-D

I'm seeing a lot of rigs in this park that are not much different from Miranda all gussied up with skirts in preparation for the winter. Oh, those brave souls! As for me, I'm headin' for the promised land. :-)

But I have to say the weather here has been incredible. It dips to close to freezing at night and goes up to about 25 during the day. Miranda turns into an oven (it was 32 in here this afternoon!). I don't know how to describe the sun out here, but it feels really close and it's unbelievably intense. Soon as it sets, though, BRR! It's meant nice days for exploring or puttering at home, but nights that are really comfortable for sleeping, so absolutely ideal RVing conditions. Pity they can't last all year. :-)

6 comments:

Croft said...

Have a safe trip Rae. It will be a chance to test the batteries! Keep watching the battery readings while you are parked and you will get a good idea of the battery performance.

I doubt very much if the campgrounds will be full at this time of year. Probably quite the opposite.

I have boondocked in the "Chain-up Pullouts" with no problems. The pay station areas at the entrances to the parks are another option. If you ask the toll taker they would probably let you park. The $40 would be better in your gas tank than in the Government's pocket.

Rae said...

Well, I'm starting off at 13.4, so that's good. :-)

Me too, but it's the principle of the thing. Don't tell people that they can ONLY camp somewhere, make that place unavailable, and force them to continue even if they're exhausted.

Chain-up pullouts? I suppose that will make sense when I get on the road?

I'll have to see about the park entrance. I'm doubtful, but who knows.

Revelstoke is at an awkward place on my trip; too far to go the first day, not far enough the second (if leaving from Golden). I'll keep it in mind for the spring. I'm told there is a rest area at Kicking Horse where we can boondock, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hmm... maybe I should head out early. :-)

Kevin Read said...

If you followed our trip journal that I gave you, you can see where we boondocked when we went along a similar path as yours at around the same time last year.

Croft said...

Chain-up areas are off road parking areas where vehicles pull off the road to put snow chains on their tires. Sometimes they are quite large and unused (unless it is snowing).

Anonymous said...

Hi Rae. Just found your blog, and absolutely love it. I have read every word, right back to the beginning. You really are amazing !! We live in Regina, and were disappointed that you had already passed through !! We are in our mid 40's and hope to be snowbirds in the next few years.
This summer we made a trip to Vancouver Island ( including Powell River, Croft ) in a camper van, and had an unforgettable time. We are hoping to move out there in a few years. Imagine my surprise to read about Croft, and that he lives on the island !! Now I am going to read his blogs about Mexico, our dream vacation area.
We are amazed and very impressed at your attitude towards trying new things, and your ability to learn about Miranda so quickly and thoroughly !!
Is there a better way to communicate with you, or is leaving a comment the best ?
We wish you safe travels, and much happiness on your journies. Best wishes to you and your fur kids !!
Sincerely, Trent and Teresa

Rae said...

Trent and Teresa, thank you for stopping by!

This sure has been an amazing month and I'm glad that others are enjoying my tales about my travels.

I can be reached by email at raven DOT polaris AT gmail DOT com