Wednesday, September 24, 2008

At Crossroads

Wow. I have to be out of this site by 11AM tomorrow and I have absolutely no idea where I'm going next!!! I really do want to plunk myself down somewhere for a several nights and just breathe before plunging back into working life. I'm a bit distressed that I don't have the stamina I had when I was 19!

My options for getting to Kelowna, which will be my base of operations in October, are:

1) stick to my original plan and get to BC by way of Red Deer, Calgary, Canmore, Banff, Revelstoke, and Salmon Arm;

2) continue on the Yellowhead and get to BC by way of Jasper stopping in Hinton, Blue River, and Kamloops.

I'm going to get flogged for this, but I am trying to avoid staying in national parks. I don't care how pretty they are, 45$ a night for camping is highway robbery!!! Even non-hook up sites are exorbitantly priced.

I'm told Banff is a must see place, but I already have a chip on my shoulder about it. I just resent having to pay a premium for going where everyone else goes. I therefore try to find my own out of the way equivalents. No, I have never been to Niagara Falls, either (well, other than as a foetus).

So, technically, that leaves me with a third option, crossing over from southern Alberta via the Crows Nest Pass. But that's an extra 300km, so not an option I'm seriously considering at this time (although I did once).

Does it really matter which road I choose now? The one I don't take will be the one I'll embark on in the spring when I get back on the road again.

I've been avoiding making this decision since I started off on this whole insane adventure of mine knowing full well that I would eventually end up in Edmonton one night with no idea of what my next move would be. Let's see what sort of wise advice the night brings. I'm such a procrastinator. :-)

And through the night, behind the wheel,
The mileage clicking west,
I'll think upon Mackenzie, David Thompson, and the rest,
Who cracked the mountain ramparts and did show a path for me,
To race the roaring Fraser to the sea.

2 comments:

Croft said...

Another idea: Head towards Jasper and boondock close to (but not past)the park entrance. Get up early. At Jasper You can drive into Jasper and find parking on the main drag near the railway tracks. At this time of the year you should have no problem. After you have seen Jasper, head South down the Parkway to Banff. Do not take Miranda into Banff! Too many narrow streets and buses. Park outside of town and take the car for a run into Banff.

Rae said...

That's definitely an idea, but I'm still so iffy about going to Banff....

I've found a reasonably priced park outside of Jasper (in Hinton) that I'm thinking of stopping at for several nights.